Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Rooney pleased with form

Wayne Rooney is delighted that his unwavering self-belief has paid dividends on the pitch in recent weeks.

The striker’s clinically-taken goal against Celtic was his seventh in six games for club and country, and his recent superb displays have led many to claim he is in the form of his life.

But the 22-year-old insists he always had confidence in his own ability, even when the goals weren’t flying in at the start of the season.

“I'm doing well at the minute so hopefully that will continue,” said the striker, who made his 200th Reds appearance against Celtic.

“But before I scored I didn't think I was playing that badly. I always believe in myself and I thought I was playing well, and now thankfully the goals are going in.”

United overwhelmed the Scottish champions in the second half of Tuesday’s Champions League clash, and Rooney believes the timing of Dimitar Berbatov’s second goal was key.

“We knew they had to come out after the break and open up to try to get something from the game, so to score so early in the second half was a big bonus for us," Rooney added on MUTV.

“We played some nice football and got the three points, so a good result at Celtic Park in two weeks will more or less see us through to the next stage.”

Video: Watch Rooney's post-match interview on MUTV Online.

No comments: